The staff and Governors at Holmer Green First School and Pre-school have an unwavering commitment to the success of every pupil. The purpose of Holmer Green First School and Pre-school’s equality statement is to show how the school promotes equality of opportunity for all pupils, staff and carers irrespective of race, gender, disability, faith religion, socio-economic background, sexual orientation, age or culture. We welcome our duties under the Equality Act 2010. We are committed to advancing equality of opportunity for all and tackling and eliminating discrimination. We seek to promote harmonious relationships in all areas of school life and promote positive relationships with all stakeholders and the wider community. We recognise the need to provide an environment where everyone is valued and mutual respect is fostered.
In order to meet this we will:
- Promote cultural understanding and awareness of different religious beliefs between different ethnic groups within our school community.
- Challenge all forms of stereotyping and prejudices.
- Value and celebrate diversity through specific assemblies, school visits, celebration of festivals and individual children’s family events.
- Investigate, discuss and tackle any act of discrimination, racism or bullying.
- Raise children’s awareness of the importance of tolerance, friendship, forgiveness and kindness to others.
- Encourage people who have a particular characteristic to participate fully in any activities (e.g. encouraging all pupils to be involved in the full range of school activities and clubs).
- Take steps to meet the particular needs of people who have a particular characteristic (e.g. enabling Muslim pupils to pray at prescribed times).
- Diminish gaps in attainment between groups of pupils, for example, girls and boys, disadvantaged.
- Establish with all staff an overall vision of the duty to promote equality of opportunity for all.
- Train all members of staff and governors involved in recruitment and selection on equal opportunities and non-discrimination.